Social Investment Managers and Advisors (SIMA) LLC registered with U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission seeks an Associate to support Investment and Fund Management activities of an asset management company focused on bottom of the pyramid investment opportunities with commercial returns and clear social benefits. SIMA is focused on double bottom line investment, advisory services, and creation of social businesses in the areas of financial inclusion, solar energy, affordable housing and education in some of the poorest countries in the world namely sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. SIMA believes in transparency, inclusive decision-making, and innovative thinking. SIMA’s Managing Partners are among the longest serving social investment fund managers and actively contributed to the development of the social impact investment industry. SIMA has presence in US, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Pakistan, and India.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct primary and secondary market research related to financial and clean energy access in Africa.
- Sourcing and originating new deals for the pipeline, developing relationships with target companies.
- Developing and vetting potential opportunities.
- Understand the fundamentals of the target companies, their business models, markets and macroeconomic environment.
- writing investment memos and presenting findings to the Investment Committee.
Supporting the firm in all deal-related tasks, including on site due-diligence in emerging markets, financial and credit analysis, and deal structuring.
- Maintain a well-controlled operating environment.
- Management degree; possession of or completion of the exam series in relevant certifications such as ACA, ACCA, CFA or FRM is preferred.
- Strong quantitative skills, a high degree of proficiency with Excel and applied financial modeling experience.
- Ability to speak and write French fluently will be an added advantage.
Track record of producing results and managing multiple projects and assignments concurrently.
- At least 3-4 years’ experience in deal sourcing, deal appraisal and structuring, in investment banking, emerging market investing, impact investing in renewable energy sector.
- Project finance background and prior experience in lending or raising money for solar energy projects in Africa at either a commercial lending institute or a developer.
- Track record of producing results and managing multiple projects and assignments concurrently.
- A high level of passion, entrepreneurial energy, personal initiative and responsibility.
- Strong cultural understanding and skills to communicate effectively across multiple geographies.
- Strong negotiating and team-working skills.
- Socially orientated and desire to create positive impact to society.
- Willingness to work remotely from home.